Tuesday, April 24, 2012
I recently found some real life excuses that were on accident claim forms for a major insurance company. Clients were asked for a brief statement describing how the accident occurred and below are some of those examples. I have narrowed it down to what I believe is the top ten, but not in order of preference. I would love to hear what you feel is your favorite one(s)? Please respond on our Facebook Fan Page.
1. The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intention.
2. I thought my window was down but found it was up when I put my hand through it.
3. A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.
4. The guy was all over the place. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him.
5. I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law and headed over the embankment.
6. As I approached the intersection, a stop sign suddenly appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before. I was unable to stop in time to avoid the accident.
7. To avoid hitting the bumper of the car in front, I struck the pedestrian.
8. An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my vehicle and vanished.
9. I saw the slow-moving, sad-faced old gentleman as he bounced off the hood of my car.
10. Coming home, I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I don’t have.
Although many might find humor in this article, please know that my intention is not to downplay or minimize the seriousness of being involved in a car accident. I know firsthand how unpleasant the experience can be and that more serious ones resulting in bodily injury can have lasting effects.
As always, be safe out there on the road. You have control over your actions, but not over the actions and reactions of other drivers. Finally, as warm weather arrives and the days grow longer, more motorcycle riders appear on the roads. Please take an extra care, share the road, and stay alert at all times!